Sunday, January 1, 2012

Africa from A-Z: Algeria

A goal of mine for 2012 is to learn more about the countries in Africa (and around the world!).  I will do this by writing a blog post each week about a country in Africa.  54 countries.  52 weeks (two countries/weeks will be extra special!).  And I will blog about them alphabetically.  I still need to work out some of the kinks about how I will post but here goes for my first country!


I always wonder about Algeria since I do not hear much about it and it is right above Mali.  What happens there?  Does anyone visit?  Doesn't sound like much after the war in 1992.  From my brief perusing it seems like a key country to know more about if I want to dig deeper into what decolonization was like in Africa since it was colonized by France for over 120 years.  It is also the largest country in Africa (and the Arab world and the Mediterranean, for that matter) and has a snazzy 4-mile, much anticipated, metro system.  Also, Algeria cares about the bid for Western Sahara's independence.  Does anyone else?

From around the web:
A zine about Algeria.  An unlined journal.  I would love to have this journal, too!  And a light switch

Books: The Stranger by Albert Camus
Movies: The Battle of Algiers - and here
Music.  Mohammed Lamine.

Image source

What do you think about Algeria?  Any tips for how to organize this feature?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...