Thursday, September 5, 2013

Toki Undeground: Mary Washington is all over the place! :)

Image Source
A couple of nights ago Jackie came into town - what a treat!  Molly, another friend we were meeting up with, suggested we head to Toki Underground on H Street, owned by UMW grad (my alumnus) Erik Bruner-Yang.  There were four of us - all University of Mary Washington grads - and we were able (to my surprise!) to get a seat at the counter in front of the kitchen right away.  

I remember reading about Erik's restaurant in the Spring 2013 edition of my alumni magazine and thinking that I would have to wait for hours to get a seat in his slam-packed eatery.  I'm glad I was proved wrong (though the restaurant didn't have an empty seat while we were there)!

I ordered a vegetarian Ramen and a Hey Song Sarsaparilla Root Beer - mostly because I liked the name of the drink.  Neither disappointed!  The soup spoon was the size of a serving spoon and made me feel like I was in a cowboy restaurant eating with a spoon made for camping (that had been blown up).  The music was good (not too loud, which is a pet peeve of mine) and the seating made for good conversation with Jackie.  She made a good point, however, when she said it would be hard to come here on a first date here - eating the soup wasn't that easy (read: tidy) and you really have to turn to face your partner since there aren't any tables - only counters - in the restaurant. 

We finished up our meals and took a group picture with our Eagle pride.  The little candies they gave us with our bill tasted like eating a Kix cereal candy; yum!  We didn't order dessert because we were too full with soup but the warm cookies on the menu were tempting.  I was envious of the couple next to us who ordered a plate - I'll definitely order some the next time I go!
Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...