Friday, November 16, 2012

Yinka Shonibare at the Corcoran Gallery of Art

Image Source
Image Source Girl on Globe 2, 2011
Do you ever have that feeling when you go to a museum like 'how did I not know about this artist before?'  I have that feeling a lot, which can only mean I don't spend nearly enough time in museums.  Lalla Essaydi's exhibit made me feel that way and Yinka Shonibare's sole piece at the Corcoran Gallery of Art had the same effect.  Works by Taryn Simon (A Living Man Declared Dead and Other Chapters I - XVIII and Jane Hammond also held me captive.

Have you seen any cool shows lately?  I went on a tour at the Corcoran last night and now I'm feeling even more committed to getting more art in my life.  I can't help when I go to new places but think what it will be like to come back with Abdoulaye; it will be like I've never been before!
Image Source Jane Hammond - Hand Held, 1996
Image Source Taryn Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...